EU fund for new smart agriculture applications
€4 million for web and IT entrepreneurs with new FIWARE applications
The SmartAgriFood accelerator has launched a €4 million open call for SMEs and web-entrepreneurs to develop a new generation of smart agriculture applications and services building on FIWARE technology.
Source: Wageningen UR
The EU SmartAgriFood project accelerator is aiming to fund web entrepreneurs and SMEs with new or innovative ideas for applications and services to address the lack of smart ICT tools suited for farm and wider agricultural use. New or existing applications should use FIWARE technologies (an innovative, open cloud-based infrastructure for cost-effective creation and delivery of future internet applications and services) and ideally be delivered through the FIspace platform, an integrated collaboration system.
These new ICT products will be designed for use by farmers and food producers to help them increase productivity while minimising their environmental footprint. Intelligent machines, sensor networks, and smart ICT are important ingredients for the future of farming.
Projects are expected to address one or more of three representative farming subsectors:
- Arable Farming – large-scale, annual crop production in the open air
- Horticulture – flowers, fruits and vegetables production in greenhouses or, at a small scale, similar crops in the open air. In addition, orchards can be included.
- Livestock Farming – animal production in the open-air closed housing systems or a mix between these.
They should provide smart solutions for specific farm operations or farm management activities. Projects may develop and implement new solutions or modify existing solutions towards use within the Future Internet framework.
€4 million in funding is available for SME’s and web entrepreneurs to develop a large number of smart agriculture services and applications. Grants of up to €100K are available which will be distributed over three stages:
- Stage 1 Prototype development (up to €40,000 in EU funding, 100% funded, no matched funding required)
- Stage 2 End user trials (up to €40,000 in EU funding funded at 75%; 25% matched funding required)
- Stage 3 Business Development (up to €20,000 in EU funding funded at 50%; 50% matched funding required).
SmartAgriFood has joined forces with the Europe-wide ICT-AGRI network to provide SMEs and web entrepreneurs with an additional €2M in funding to pay for expert advice and support services for the successful SMEs.
The SmartAgriFood project is part of the EU’s Future Internet Public-Private Partnership (FI-PPP) program.
More information and application details here.